RUNY v Raptors: Game Preview
This Friday night, Rugby United New York (RUNY/Roosters/ the Best Team in MLR) will match up against the
Denver Glendale Raptors. The Roosters are coming off a scrappy win against the Utah Warriors, while the Raptors got destroyed by San Diego Legion last week. Should be a good game at Infinity Park.
- RUNY is ranked 4th in the USMLR standings, with 37 table points
- Glendale is ranked 5th, with 33 table points
- Dylan Fawsitt, “The Butcher”, will assume captaincy for the first time this season
RUNY: WHO TO WATCH
- Connor Wallace-Sims, #11
Wallace-Sims has scored 6 tries this season thus far, and is showing no signs of stopping. He is coming off a beast performance against the Warriors, scoring a brace of tries and racking up over 100 meters on the ground. He’s made the MLR “First XV of the Week” 3 times this season. He keeps defenders on their toes, evident in the sequence from last Saturday night.
- Luke Hume, #15
“The Bald Eagle” is back in the 15 shirt for the first time since Week 1, an opening week win against the the San Diego Legion. After getting snubbed (in his own eyes) for the Man of the Match selection against Utah last week , he’s probably playing with a big chip in his shoulder.
“I don’t practice. I don’t work out. But I’m fast.”- The Bald Eagle
- Trevor Cassidy, #4
The big man is BACK. Cassidy hasn’t played since March 30th, when the Roosters went down to San Antonio and played the Austin Elite. But he’s logged over 500 minutes this season, is the second leading tackler on the team with 93, and he provides a pretty necessary carpool to the airport for some of the squad. RUNY can’t have an away game without Cassidy, for reasons that go far beyond the white lines.
GLENDALE: WHO TO WATCH
- Shaun Davies, #9
he is a pretty tiny guy. If you don’t keep a close eye on him, you might lose him. Rumor has it that RUNY’s Kyle Sumsion, a former teammate of Davies at BYU, used to pick on him in between classes- another potential storyline to watch out for.
- Blake Rogers’ Mullet, Not Numbered
Very nice mullet.
- Fawsitt and Quill come back to Glendale
- Last season, both Dylan Fawsitt and John Quill were leaders on a Glendale team that made it all the way to the MLR finals. This past offseason, they made the move to New York (Butcher actually made the move back to New York.) Both have been beasts for the Roosters. They will feel comfortable at Infinity Park
- Marcus Walsh making his second start of the season
- Trusty veteran Marcus Walsh is making his second start of the season. He orchestrated the offense down in San Antonio last month, and scored this beauty of a try. Look for more “spark plug” type moments from this guy.
HOW TO WATCH:
- CBS Sports Network for US Viewers
- Facebook Watch (through the USMLR Facebook)
WHEN TO WATCH:
- Friday, April 26th
- 9:30 PM EST
WHERE TO WATCH:
- The Official RUNY Watch Party, brought to you by Magners’, hosted at the Pig and Whistle, located on 36th right near New York Penn Station
FIVE RUNY ATHLETES EARN MAJOR LEAGUE RUGBY HONORS NEW YORK (June 25,
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE RUNY ACADEMY SIDE TO PLAY COLLEGIATE ALL AMERICANS NEW
FULL HIGHLIGHTS Check out the highlights from the Major League Rugby semi-final,
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE NEW YORK (June 13, 2019)- Rugby United New York,
- Anthony Parry
- Callum Mackintosh
- Capital Selects
- Cathal Marsh
- Chris Mattina
- Fly Half
- Harry Bennett
- James Rochford
- John Quill
- Myles McQuone
- Paddy Ryan
- Seimou Smith
- USA Rugby
- Will Leonard