RUNY v Sabercats: Game Preview
Rugby United New York is back in Coney Island this Sunday, May 5th, at 5:00 PM. RUNY is coming off a tough loss from the Glendale Raptors, while Houston was dismantled by the red hot San Diego Legion last week. New York’s professional rugby franchise currently sits 4th in the league’s table standings, while Houston sits at 8th with only 2 wins on the season. Xavier High School and Fordham Prep will be facing off at 3 PM in a curtain raiser.
- The game starts at 5 PM, with the Xavier v Fordham Curtain Raiser starting at 3 PM. Doors open at 2:30 PM.
- “The Roost” All You Can Drink beer deck opens at 4:30 PM, and will be open until the end of half-time
- Fans can celebrate Cinco De Mayo at Kitchen 21’s pre-game event, with drink specials that include $5 Modelos, and a $15 deal that gets you a Modelo and a shot of either Bacardi Lime or Cazadores Tequila
RUNY: WHO TO WATCH
- Ross Deacon, #8
The hard charging Number 8 is back in the lineup after being sidelined due to injury for the last two games. He is one of the top ball carriers on the team, going for over 500 meters on 80 carries. He’s a force on defense as well, with 80 tackles over his 9 appearances. He is dangerous from the back of the scrum (as shown below), so it is good to have him back in the Blue & Orange
- Mark O’Keeffe, #13
Similarly to Deacon, O’Keeffe is back in the lineup after recovering from an injury. He was only unavailable for one game, but his presence was missed against the Raptors last week. He is second on the team in meters gained (712 meters on 61 carries), only behind England international Ben Foden (848 meters on 78 carries).
- Sean McNulty, #16
RUNY’s most recent signing, the forward comes down from the New England Free Jacks on loan for the rest of the 2019 season. He has recovered from an injury that kept him sidelined during the Freejacks’ Cara Cup. The Irishman is versatile in the forward pack, with the ability to slot in at hooker or in the back-row, and his impact was felt immediately after arriving in the RUNY camp. The ex-Ireland U-20 and Leinster product has the opportunity to earn his first RUNY cap.
HOUSTON: WHO TO WATCH
- Thretton Palamo, #12
One of Houston’s more recent pick-ups, the impactful center will make his presence felt on Sunday. Expect a physical game between him and his RUNY counterpart Will Leonard. Palamo started a lot of games for the USA in the 2015 Rugby World Cup, under the watchful eye of RUNY Head Coach Mike Tolkin, so there is a lot of familiarity. Palamo can ball.
- Joshua Vici
Vici was originally suspended for 8 weeks due to some off the ball antics, but after an appeal, it was reduced to 5. He is available for selection this weekend, and if he makes the roster, could complete a dangerous Houston backline that has just not been able to click this season. They rank 8th in Attack, but with Vici potentially back in the lineup this week, coupled with recent signings Palamo and Deion Mikesell, not to mention Olympic Gold Medalist Osea Kolinisau, they have the pieces of the puzzle to get on the scoreboard.
- Justin Fitzpatrick Let Go as Head Coach on 5/2
- Just this week, Houston Head Coach Justin Fitzpatrick was let go by the organization. Assistant Coach Paul Emerick has stepped in as the Interim Head Coach for the remainder of the season, and is thrown to the wolves with a tough match up against our Roosters.
- General admission tickets, $30 for adults $10 for students, can be purchased here
- “The Roost” All You Can Drink Tickets can be purchased here
- For the discounted group ticket rate (8 or more people) please email [email protected] with the subject line “Group Tickets 5.5”
*use tracking code NYPD or FDNY at check-out and a portion of the proceeds will be donated back to the charity of each organization’s choice*
TRAVELLING TO MCU PARK
- Wondering how to get to our home stadium? Check out this page which has all the relevant information you can need.
HOW TO WATCH:
- CBS Sports Network for US Viewers
- Facebook Watch for International Viewers (through the USMLR Facebook)
WHEN TO WATCH:
- Sunday, May 5th
- 5:00 PM EST
This durable Paladin jersey will ensure you can represent New York with
As we are stayinghome to flattenthecurve, Rugby United’s Troy Lockyear shares some
On episode 4, (taking over for Logan Tittle) Chantel Richardson sits down